The name Hoosier Lotto doesn’t roll off the tongue that easily, but it is used proudly in Indiana to refer to the people of the State. The Hoosier Lotto is governed and operated by the State of Indiana, which is a part of some other national games and runs a couple of scratch games as well. The game is part of the Indiana Lottery’s portfolio, which was set up by the government. There are a number of cool features in the game that makes it a popular choice of players. The first thing about Hoosier Lotto that appeals to lottery players is the fact that the game boasts a guaranteed minimum jackpot of $1 million.
Secondly, the Hoosier Lotto also boasts a +Plus feature that can be used for getting a chance at winning additional prizes. Through this +Plus feature, players are able to increase the size of each prize and if you win the jackpot, you also get an additional payment through it. Thus, this means that you get a higher return with this feature in the Hoosier Lotto. Another great feature of the Hoosier Lotto is that the jackpot will rollover in the event that a drawing doesn’t result in a winner. This means that jackpots can reach very high amounts if there are no winners in a number of draws. As a matter of fact, if there are two draws without a winner, the sum of $500,000 is added in each draw until someone wins the jackpot.
The Hoosier Lotto follows a very popular format as players are required to choose six numbers between the range of 1 and 46. If a player is able to match all these six numbers will obviously win the big prize. But, even if you are able to match two of the six numbers, you still get to take a prize home from the Hoosier Lotto. The total number of prize tiers that players will find in the Hoosier Lotto is 5. Over the years, some really spectacular and memorable jackpots have been produced by the Hoosier Lotto.
The biggest jackpot in the entire history of the Hoosier Lotto fell in November 2007 when there was only a single lucky winner- Peter Gilbert, hailing from East Chicago. He bought the ticket from a Mobil gas station and took home the massive prize worth $54.4 million and even the owner of the gas station was awarded with a prize of $100,000 because he sold the winning ticket. The average jackpot that is claimed by the players in the Hoosier Lotto is approximately $9.18 million. It is also interesting to note that the guaranteed minimum sum of $1 million has been won by players at least 150 times since the lottery game was introduced.
The draw for the Hoosier Lotto is conducted twice a week, on every Wednesday and Saturday. This means that players have two opportunities every week of becoming a millionaire. As mentioned earlier, six numbers need to be matched in order to win the jackpot amount. Prizes are paid out either in the form of lump sum or in an annuity of 30 years. If you opt for a lump sum payment, you should remember that they are discounted based on an estimated value. This means that players are not going to get the actual amount of the jackpot.
As far as odds of winning the Hoosier Lotto are concerned, they are 1 in 9,366,819. These odds are slightly better than the lottery games that follow the 6/49 format and this is probably due to the smaller pool of numbers to choose from. There is no bonus ball involved in this game either and this can boost your odds even further. Listed below are the prize categories of the Hoosier Lotto as well as their respective odds:
- The second prize category requires players to match five numbers out of the six drawn and the odds of this happening are 1 in 39,028. Players who are successful in doing so will win $1,000 and the prize will be split if there are multiple winners.
- Four out of the six numbers have to be matched for taking home the third prize and the odds of winning it are 1 in 800. The sum that can be won is $40 and this will also be divided amongst the number of players who win.
- Matching three out of the total six numbers drawn decides the winner of the fourth prize and this gives then $3. The odds of winning this prize are 1 in 47.
- The last prize category requires players to match 2 numbers from the total six and the odds of anyone doing so are 1 in 6.8. If you do this successfully, you will win a free quick pick try.
The overall odds of winning a prize in the Hoosier Lotto are 1 in 6, which are considerably good, as compared to some of the other lottery games that offer great jackpots. However, one important fact that participants should know before buying a ticket is that this is a taxable lottery game. If you are a US citizen, you will have to pay 25% federal tax on any lottery prizes you win that are higher than $5,000 and a state tax of 3.5% is also applicable on prizes that are higher than $1,200. If you are playing from outside the US, a federal tax of 30 percent is applicable on the winnings of the Hoosier Lotto.
One of the best things about participating in the Hoosier Lotto is that even if you don’t win, you are doing something good. This is because the proceeds of the lottery game are being used for supporting various projects in the State of Indiana. As stated above, this is a state run lottery so the entire state benefits from it. The lottery has managed to generate a sum of more than $4.3 billion since it was established in 1988. Some of the causes it has helped include Build Indiana Fund (US $3 billion), Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Pension and Disability Funds (US $517 million), Teachers’ Retirement Fund (US$ 705 million) and the remaining being spent on retailer commissions and smaller projects and causes.
Since October 21, 2006, there had been no jackpot winners in the Hoosier Lotto until the biggest jackpot win in 2007. The prize, which was claimed as a lump sum by the retired steel worker from Chicago, managed to break the previous jackpot record of $42 million, which had been created on June 5th, 1999. The price of a ticket in the Hoosier Lotto is $2, which means the can game you huge returns if you succeed in winning the prize. But, the question is how to win? The good news is that there are some simple tips that can come in handy when you want to boost your chances of winning a prize in the Hoosier Lotto. Read on to find out what they are:
- The easiest way of boosting your odds of winning a prize in Hoosier Lotto is to buy as many tickets as possible. The price of a single play is $2 so you can buy multiple tickets for improving your chances. This can be incredibly helpful because it allows you to play a wide variety of numbers and this means there is a high chance you just might match some of the numbers drawn. Nonetheless, it is a good idea to be careful and not overspend in your haste to improve your odds.
- A number of people choose their Hoosier Lotto numbers that correspond to dates like their own birthday or birthdays of family members and even anniversaries. The decision to go with this strategy means that you are choosing numbers between the range of 1 and 31 and ignoring the rest of the 15 numbers as the pool of numbers is 46. Yes, it is true that choosing numbers from the remaining might not boost your chance of winning by much, but they definitely reduce the chances of you having to share your prize with other winners because it is a common strategy.
- Like using dates for choosing numbers, another common tactic is to opt for consecutive numbers. It might be tempting to choose 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26, but the chances of all consecutive numbers being drawn are very little. As a matter of fact, you can check the stats online and see how rare it is for these numbers to be drawn. You will only end up wasting your money on tickets for the Hoosier Lotto if you are planning to play consecutive numbers.
- Another thing you need to avoid is picking lottery numbers from the same number group or those that end with the same digit. If you check the past draw results of the Hoosier Lotto, you will realize that the numbers are drawn from multiple number groups such as 20s, 30s and 40s and not restricted to a single group. Therefore, you shouldn’t limited your chances of winning a prize by going down this route.
- Perhaps, one of the best ways of boosting your chances of winning without burning a hole in your pocket is by forming a lottery pool or syndicate. This is a very old practice and one that has been quite successful. Lots of players have succeeded in winning prizes because they participated through a lottery syndicate. Put simply, this involves pooling your money together with other players and buying tickets. It allows you to buy more tickets and play many numbers, which automatically improves chances of winning. Sure, you will have to share your prize with other members, but that’s not usually a problem when the jackpot is massive. These days, you don’t have to create your own syndicate and can simply join one online.
- Don’t try to choose random numbers on your own. You have probably heard that lottery numbers are drawn randomly and no formula is used for this purpose. Therefore, players decide to play random numbers as well because they believe this boosts their winning odds. However, it is not possible to choose fully random numbers yourself. Try as you might, you will end up including one lucky number or another that means something. If you want a truly random choice, use the Quick Pick option for the Hoosier Lotto in which the machine will generate numbers on your behalf.
- Try using the lottery software that you can find online. While most of these tools are quite useless because there is no possible way to predict accurate lottery numbers, some software use some good strategies. For instance, there are tools that use the lottery wheel strategy that gives you several good combinations that might net you a prize in the Hoosier Lotto. There is no harm in trying to go with this option, but make sure you don’t spend a lot of money on a lottery tool or software.
- Another way you can pick numbers is by checking the statistics of the Hoosier Lotto. Even though there is no strict pattern, looking at the past draw results will show you that some numbers are ‘hot’ i.e. frequently drawn and others are ‘cold’ i.e. rarely drawn. You can use this information to your advantage by making number combinations including numbers from both these categories. As hot numbers are picked frequently, you will get a match and as cold are rarely picked, they might become due soon.
These strategies can be immensely helpful for lottery players who want to win a prize in the Hoosier Lotto. Even if you don’t win the jackpot, you can win another category. As the odds of winning are also favorable, you don’t have to go empty handed. As the lottery is officially run, it is fully legitimate and you will get your prize. Draws are held biweekly so there is no shortage of chances for lottery players in the Hoosier Lotto game.